On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Jason Brown <jasedbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To François's point about code coverage for new code, I think this makes a
> lot of sense wrt large features (like the current work on 8457/12229/9754).
> It's much simpler to (mentally, at least) isolate those changed sections
> and it'll show up better in a code coverage report. With small patches,
> that might be harder to achieve - however, as the patch should come with
> *some* tests (unless it's a truly trivial patch), it might just work itself
> out.
>
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Jason Brown <jasedbr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > As someone who spent a lot of time looking at the singletons topic in the
> > past, Blake brings a great perspective here. Figuring out and
> communicating
> > how best to test with the system we have (and of course incrementally
> > making that system easier to work with/test) seems like an achievable
> goal.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:

> we’d
> the
> >> now

> >> properly.
> >> need

> >> doing
> >> since
> >> Testing
> database,
> >> is

> >> development
> the
> >> new
> >> bugs
> >> guidelines
> >> what

> >> To make the conversation practical. There is one class I personally
> really
> >> want to refactor so it can be tested:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/src/java/org/
> >> apache/cassandra/net/OutboundTcpConnection.java
> >>
> >> There is little coverage here. Questions like:
> >> what errors cause the connection to restart?
> >> when are undropable messages are dropped?
> >> what happens when the queue fills up?
> >> Infamous throw new AssertionError(ex); (which probably bubble up to
> >> nowhere)
> >> what does the COALESCED strategy do in case XYZ.
> >> A nifty label (wow a label you just never see those much!)
> >> outer:
> >> while (!isStopped)
> >>
> >> Comments to jira's that probably are not explicitly tested:
> >> // If we haven't retried this message yet, put it back on the queue to
> >> retry after re-connecting.
> >> // See CASSANDRA-5393 and CASSANDRA-12192.
> >>
> >> If I were to undertake this cleanup, would there actually be support? IE
> >> if
> >> this going to turn into an "it aint broken. don't fix it thing" or a "we
> >> don't want to change stuff just to add tests" . Like will someone pledge
> >> agree its kinda wonky and merge the effort in < 1 years time?

So ...:) If open a ticket to refactor OutboundTcpConnection.java to do
specific unit testing and possibly even pull things out to the point that I
can actually open a socket and to an end to end test will you/anyone
support that? (it sounds like your saying I must/should make a large
feature to add a test)