Thanks everybody for chiming in.  I have not heard any concerns about the
rules, so I’d like to move forward with some concrete steps in that direction.

A first actionable step is to increase the visibility of the test coverage.
Ideally this would be integrated in the Jenkins run on Apache.  Michael Shuler,
is this something you can take a look at?  Let me know if we can help.

A second step, imho, is to get agreement among committers that no patch that
decrease test coverage will be accepted by any committer.   Could a PMC throw
this question as a vote?

Finally, I used my mad data analytics skills to look at the ratio of non
committers contributors during the last 6 months.    Turns out that 60% of the
authors are not committers.   So as mentioned in the testing thread Jason
started, when we think about testing, I think it makes sense to consider
opening it up to non committers.   Today the testing time ranges from 2 hours
for unitests to 1 day for integration tests.  I’d like to explore if we can
throw some hardware at the problem.  I’d appreciate a pointer to who I should
talk to.