We know we are turning away more and more contributions and new potential
dev community with our 4.0 feature freeze, and it has been going on for a
while now.

I would like to suggest we create a cassandra-5.0 branch where we can start
to queue up all reviewed and ready-to-go post-4.0 commits.

This is not to distract from getting 4.0 out, where our primary focus is,
but as a stop-gap in losing those contributions. The effort of the
cassandra-5.0 branch maintenance: rebasing (git rerere); is just upon those
that wish to take it on, and the branch can be located in whatever GH
fork those
individuals wish to keep it in. Tickets that have been reviewed and are
(aside from the feature-freeze) ready to be committed, can be committed to
the `cassandra-5.0` branch while their tickets remain in "Ready to Commit"
status. The goal of this effort would be, a) we are giving the signal to
contributors to get involved again (even while our primary focus in on
stabilisation and testing efforts), and b) maintaining CI status on the
sequence of commits that are ready to go into trunk post 4.0-rc.

My questions are…
 - who would be willing to help maintain this cassandra-5.0 branch?
 - should it be kept external in a GH fork? Or would you rather have the
branch in our main git repository?

regards,
Mick