I can offer my anecdata: I know of two major enterprises as well as have
had two interviewees unsolicited bring up to me that they have walked away
from or bounced off the project due to the feature freeze / branching
strategy. I may be the anomaly given the volume of people in the ecosystem
I interact with, but I assume it's more than just the ones I've seen.

Mick, correct me if I'm wrong but the merge path for a bugfix to 2.1 that
applies up to 4.0, as an example, would look like:

2.1 → 3.0 → 3.11 → trunk

With no extra work required and an accumulation of a backlog of things on
trunk not on the cassandra-5.0 branch.

If someone else were working on something in the cassandra-5.0 branch,
they'd need to rebase/rerere the 5.0 branch on trunk before making whatever
changes. In effect this would move the burden from merge resolution to
whomever was choosing to work on the cassandra-5.0 branch instead of
maintainers working on 4.0.

> Is there such a backlog of tickets that have been reviewed and not going
into 4.0.0?
Chicken or egg debate right? Nobody is going to review code for post 4.0
right now if there's nowhere to put it since it'll just atrophy and need
constant rebasing and thus re-review. Or it ends up in a fork somewhere.

As I understand Sankalp's primary (and quite reasonable) argument the last
time we discussed this, the concern was the extra work needed to merge
forward for people working on 4.0. A cassandra-5.0 branch in-tree where the
burden of maintenance would fall on people using the branch seems to
mitigate that concern.

Also, when 4.0 GA'ed wouldn't we just trunk become a 4.0 branch and then
cassandra-5.0 become trunk?

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 4:32 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith <bened...@apache.org