> The effort of the cassandra-5.0 branch maintenance: rebasing (git rerere);
> is just upon those that wish to take it on

I don't follow.  If a bug fix goes into 4.0 do we not need to sync this
with 5.0, if so then this would be the 5th branch to keep in-sync, and if
the feature freeze is lifted then this branch may diverge making it harder
to apply the patch to.

Tickets that have been reviewed and are (aside from the feature-freeze)
> ready to be committed, can be committed to the `cassandra-5.0` branch

Is there such a backlog of tickets that have been reviewed and not going
into 4.0.0?  What I see are ideas and things punted from review, so it
would be good to see what this backlog is and how large.

My main fear is reviews of new tickets.  A complaint I have heard multiple
times from several people is that not enough people are reviewing and
reviews take a long time (number of reviewers is small and their backlog
keeps growing).  If we open up reviews for non 4.0.0 work then my fear is
that even less review time will be allocated to 4.0.0 work.

- who would be willing to help maintain this cassandra-5.0 branch?

I do not have the time so I will not be able to help with 5.0 work.

 - should it be kept external in a GH fork? Or would you rather have the
> branch in our main git repository?

To me GH fork is the same as not committed and not reviewed.  If a fork
would help the community then I am ok with it, but I don't see it as ready
to commit.