Hmmm, did you try without —remote?  We 100% rely on git hooks, and this is what
we do

 $ grep -r 'git submodule' .build/
.build//sh/bump-accord.sh:  git submodule status modules/accord
.build//sh/change-submodule.sh:  git submodule set-url "${path}" "${url}"
.build//sh/change-submodule.sh:  git submodule set-branch --branch "${branch}"
"${path}"
.build//sh/change-submodule.sh:  git submodule update --remote
.build//sh/development-switch.sh:      [ "$exists" == false ] && error "git
submodule $a does not exist"
.build//sh/development-switch.sh:    git submodule set-url "${path}"
"../cassandra-${name}.git"
.build//sh/development-switch.sh:    git submodule set-branch --branch
"${branch}" "${path}"
.build//git/git-hooks/post-checkout/100-update-submodules.sh:  git submodule
update --init —recursive

> so perhaps this a "first run tax" for submodule + worktree.

We never had such a thing in Accord… but we seem to be running commands
slightly differently than you are...