> Once you are happy with your chosen library, we need a DISCUSS thread to add
> this new library (current protocol).

Thanks, David. This is a good point, do we need a separate DISCUSS
thread or can we just use this one? I'm in favour of keeping the
discussion in one place, especially when topics are closely related. I
don't think that a separate thread would add extra visibility, but if
that is the way the community has adopted - no problem at all, I'll
repost.

The reasons for replacing the Airlift/Airline [1] with the PicoCli [2]
are as follows (in order of priority):

1. The library is under the Apache-2.0 License
https://github.com/remkop/picocli?tab=Apache-2.0-1-ov-file#readme

2. The project is active and well-maintained (last release on 8 May 2024)
https://github.com/remkop/picocli/releases

3. The library has ZERO dependencies, in some of the cases a single
file can just be dropped into the sources (it's even pointed out in
the documentation)
https://picocli.info/#_add_as_source

4. Compared to the Airlift library, the PicoCLI uses the same markup
design concepts, so we don't have to rewrite our command or make
complex changes, which in turn minimizes the migration.

Is adding the PicoCLI library as a project dependency getting any
objections from the Community? Please, share your thoughts.

There are a few other alternatives (commons-cli, airline2, jcommander)
but they are not as well known and/or not as elegantly suited to our
needs based on what we have now.

[1] https://github.com/airlift/airline
[2] https://github.com/remkop/picocli