Inline comments, discussions are invaluable for design docs - this is not
yet supported in confluence right ?
Another option would be to iterate and discuss through other means (like
google docs), and before vote, move it to the wiki - so that the community
is deciding/voting on artifacts which are on the wiki.
This would also help in case proposals do not end up making it to the vote
stage, but go through brainstorming/discussion - and evolve into something
new (or get merged with others).

Regards,
Mridul