Hi All,

@Chris Thanks for the feedback.

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 4:17 AM Peng Zheng <pengzh...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi, Chris.
>
> Thanks for providing feedback.
>
> On 2024/1/15 01:10, Christofer Dutz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > while going through the projects activity over the last quarter in
> > preparation of this month's board meeting. I came to notice that it was
> > quite tricky to follow the votes on your last release. Not only was there a
> > lot of discussion in the vote thread, also was the same thread used for
> > multiple RCs same with the result thread.
>
> IIRC, we have cast two rounds of voting: one on 2023/9/20 and the other
> on 2023/9/28.
>
> Though they display correctly as two separate threads, they appear as a
> single thread on Pony.
> I guess this caused most of the difficulty following our discussion, right?
>
> > I think it would make things a bit cleaner and clearer for outsiders to
> > follow if every RC had it's own vote and result thread (just add something
> > like "RC1" and "RC2" to the subject and to move Discussions to a paralell
> > "[DISCUSS] Release Apache Celix 1.2.3 RC1" ... this way it's super easy to
> > follow and to tally the results.
>
> Yes, adding "RC1" and "RC2" to the title should prevent Pony from mixing
> two separate threads into one, which should solve the main issue here.
> If we will have an extensive pre-release discussion, a separate
> discussion thread will definitely help.
> On the other hand, IMO some brief inline discussions should not harm the
> overall readability.

I agree that adding a RC1, RC2, etc to the voting subject is useful.

Concerning a discussion thread I have some concerns:

- If we do not want discussion on the voting thread, I think a
separate release discussion thread always needs to be created when
creating a release vote.
  Otherwise I expect it is hard to control where discussions replies will occur.
- I am not sure if a seperate discussion thread will make the overall
process more clear. Especially when looking back to an earlier vote.
  Because if there is a separate discussion thread, I expect every +0
or -1 vote will refer to discussion thread for more info, possible
making
  the vote arguments more difficult to follow.

> > Please treat this as feedback from a fellow Apache person and not as
> > official Board feedback.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > PS: Please keep me in the loop and make sure I'm on CC, as I'm not
> > subscribed to this list.
>

> --
> Peng Zheng

Pepijn