Hey guys,

I'm thinking through what Vladimir wrote below.  My comments are inline.

Thanks!

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Vladimir Popovski <
vladi...@zadarastorage.com> wrote:

> If I read what Edison mentioned properly, the idea was to provide as much
> freedom for the plugin as possible.
>
> The generic code of datastore creation and manipulations will be
> available, but will be optional. The plugin may decide to use it or perform
> something else.
>

> We can consider two main scenarios for plugin operations - shared
> pools/datastore vs dedicated. It looks like plugin behavior might be
> completely different there.
>

> In case of the shared pool/datastore:
>
> 1.       On Initialize (or attachCluster/attachZone) level, the plugin
> will call target to create a LUN & attach it to the datastore
>
> 2.       On createAsync/deleteAsync levels, the plugin will operate with
> volumes from this pool only (not LUNs). Optionally, if there is no enough
> space in the pool, it may allocate another LUN (or expand the previous one).
>

> In case of the dedicated pool:

[Mike T.] This is where my main interest lies, but I am certainly
interested in understanding more about the top scenario, as well.

> 1.       On Initialize level (or same attach Cluster/Zone), the plugin
> will establish a connection between source(-s) and destination, but will
> not create any LUNs/datastores

[Mike T.] Let's say "attachCluster" is called on the plug-in. I assume if
we are dealing with a VMware cluster that the IP address of vCenter is
passed in? At this point, would we run our code to add our iSCSI target to
the HBAs of each host in the cluster? If it is a XenServer cluster, I don't
think this pre-configuration of HBAs is necessary, so we could do nothing
in that case?

> 2.       On createAsync level, it will create a LUN, create corresponding
> datastore & carve a volume from this datastore (size == size of the
> datastore)

[Mike T.] This makes good sense to me. This is where we are told what kind
of a LUN to create (size, for example) on our SAN. After creating said LUN,
we can hook it up to the VMware or XenServer (etc.) cluster (creating a
datastore or storage repository (etc.) that is based off of the LUN's iSCSI
target). The datastore/storage repository would take up all of the space
that the LUN provides.

> It will really help if all datastore functions will be provided by the CS,
> but it will be up to the plugin to decide when to invoke them.

[Mike T.] I agree...there is a lot of logic that would need to be
duplicated among storage plug-ins if we don't put it in a library and make
it accessible to them.

> Does it make sense?

[Mike T.] I think this is making more sense. I'm still a bit unclear on how
the plug-in behaves in a shared LUN environment (where more than one VM or
data disk lives on the LUN), but my main use case is dedicated service to
VMs and data disks (one LUN per VM or data disk).

Do either of you know of any diagrams that convey when each of the methods
we implement in are plug-in are invoked?