On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Alex Huang <alex.hu...@citrix.com> wrote:
> So let me start off with I agree in principle with what Noah is talking about
> here.  Cookie licking is an anti-pattern that we should reject as a
> community.  However, I disagree the solution or even what is perceived as
> cookie licking.
>
> We established a while ago as a community that we follow a Jira workflow in
> handling bugs.  In that process, a bug is Open until it goes to "In
> Progress".  We can simply tweak our expectations on this workflow to achieve
> exactly the desired effects.
>
> - Assign bugs does not mean you own it, even if you assign it to yourself
> doesn't mean you own it.
> - No one owns a bug until the person assigned changed it to In Progress (not
> licked til this stage)
> - Before a bug goes into In Progress, anyone can grab it.
>
> By doing this we allow people who can help in prioritizing the bugs to assign
> bugs without going through another layer of negotiation.  Assigning bugs
> merely means asking the question "can you work on it".  This would be much
> more efficient way of doing things.
>
> I also think that we can setup public filters that people can use to find
> bugs they can work on.  In the filter, it doesn't look at who the bug is
> assigned to.  Just whether the bug is open or not.
>
> --Alex

I understand the reasoning - but for a newcomer looking to get
involved, I think 'assigning' a bug - whether by default, or otherwise
can be construed as excluding newcomers and no room for them to get
involved, so I think it warrants caution at a minimum.

Our 'if not 'in progress' anyone can grab it' does not seem to be the
norm for open source projects.

I also wonder if it makes a difference. Perhaps it does. In other
projects I've been involved in, when I care about releases or just the
project, I tend to watch the categories of bugs that I can fix,
particularly the unassigned items. Does having a backlog of work
assigned to me (as opposed to checking a component in Jira for
outstanding work) improve things somehow? I don't know, perhaps it
does and there is something I am missing.

I do think triaging is important - there are simply too many bugs to
not have some ongoing triage, make sure the proper component,
severity, etc is set, perhaps even doing some initial prompting for
enough information.

--David