> I understand the reasoning - but for a newcomer looking to get involved, I
> think 'assigning' a bug - whether by default, or otherwise can be construed as
> excluding newcomers and no room for them to get involved, so I think it
> warrants caution at a minimum.
>
> Our 'if not 'in progress' anyone can grab it' does not seem to be the norm for
> open source projects.
>
> I also wonder if it makes a difference. Perhaps it does. In other projects
> I've
> been involved in, when I care about releases or just the project, I tend to
> watch the categories of bugs that I can fix, particularly the unassigned
> items.
> Does having a backlog of work assigned to me (as opposed to checking a
> component in Jira for outstanding work) improve things somehow? I don't
> know, perhaps it does and there is something I am missing.

I want to first establish that we should do what's right for this community.
We should use other open source projects as a reference but we shouldn't just
do whatever others are doing.

With that said, I think Jira is just a much better project management tool than
what's available before.  We should use these workflows as much as possible to
communicate what a release needs.  It's almost like git vs svn.  For many
years, almost all open source projects use svn and linux is the only one that
uses git but now you hardly hear of new projects say they're using svn anymore.
 Apache was almost exclusively on bugzilla and jira before.  From what I can
see, Cloudstack was one of the first to bring these into Apache and CloudStack
can be one of the first to bring better patterns to apache as well.

Cloud is the future and cloudstack should use tools and patterns fit for the
future.  Jira has a superior workflow for us to utilize.  We should utilize it
when it comes to bug triage and release management.

--Alex