On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 01:56:55PM -0700, Prachi Damle wrote:
> Prasanna,
> Affinity Group Processing is a pre-planning step. It will set the
> scope for the deployment planners, there is no conflict between the
> planner strategies and affinity groups. These are separate steps of
> deployment planning.

My only confusion stems from the fact that we have two steps that do
the same thing - pre-planning by affinty/anti-affinity rules and the
deployment planning that does the same using concentration/dispersion.
The only difference being the latter is in the control of the
administrator. And if I enable vm-host, vm-vm affinity rules on my
vmware cluster [1], say, then that's another layer of filtering to make
placement decisions. Other providers [2] use affinity rules to place
vms in the same physical group (pod, cluster, storage) to help with
costs, latency etc which cloudstack can do using tags (more confusion
for end users).

OTOH, I think that the pluginizing of the deployment planner steps in
this feature is useful. But beyond the placement decisions on host,
storage what other kind of placement planning can exploit this plugin?

[1] http://s.apache.org/FQU
[2] http://s.apache.org/CSs

--
Prasanna.,