Comments Inline.

Thanks,
Prachi
-----Original Message-----
From: prasanna [mailto:srivatsav.prasa...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Prasanna
Santhanam
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 11:17 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ACS42][QA]Test Plan for "Affinity / Anti-affinity Rules"

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 01:56:55PM -0700, Prachi Damle wrote:
> Prasanna,
> Affinity Group Processing is a pre-planning step. It will set the
> scope for the deployment planners, there is no conflict between the
> planner strategies and affinity groups. These are separate steps of
> deployment planning.

My only confusion stems from the fact that we have two steps that do the same
thing - pre-planning by affinty/anti-affinity rules and the deployment planning
that does the same using concentration/dispersion.
The only difference being the latter is in the control of the administrator.
And if I enable vm-host, vm-vm affinity rules on my vmware cluster [1], say,
then that's another layer of filtering to make placement decisions. Other
providers [2] use affinity rules to place vms in the same physical group (pod,
cluster, storage) to help with costs, latency etc which cloudstack can do using
tags (more confusion for end users).

>> They are not doing the same thing. As mentioned in the FS, Affinity is a way
>> to specify user preference Vs deployment planners are admin decided
>> heuristics to order the available set of resources. Planners are not visible
>> to the user. Also setting tags on backend and using them in service offering
>> is not in the hands of a user. There is no way for a user to let us know any
>> deployment preference. Affinity Groups is one way of facilitating that.
Affinity groups just narrows down the scope of searching the required
resources. And under the given scope(a zone or a pod or a cluster etc) a
planner will try to order the rest of the resources based on the heuristics
admin wants. Thus Affinity is just modifying the input of the planners and not
conflicting with any  planner algorithm.

OTOH, I think that the pluginizing of the deployment planner steps in this
feature is useful. But beyond the placement decisions on host, storage what
other kind of placement planning can exploit this plugin?
[1] http://s.apache.org/FQU
[2] http://s.apache.org/CSs

--
Prasanna.,