Hi Abhi,

First of all I totally agree with you on having at least our release
manager the triaging blockers.

Secondly, we need to understand the issue Noah is trying to raise. The
issue assignment way now is surely an anti-pattern. Let's not deviate from
the real issue Noah started with this thread.

>From what I understand and wanted to convey is that in an opensource
project the development should be done by contributors and forced upon
them. When someone assigns an issue to me without my consent, I personally
see it as an offence. To say it again, I want to promote culture where
everyone (esp. committers) develops a habit to go through reviewboard,
mailing lists and jira and take their own decisions.

Prasanna man you're awesome already you don't need to explain your
awesomeness and willingness to be assigned bugs and fix 'em.
People/companies who have their interests in fixing some issue on time is
not an issue here. The problem is couple of anti-patterns, just want to
tell what they are IMO;

1. Issue assignment without consent, by few individuals who have taken the
implicit role of managers. Solution: Politely ask them to avoid doing that.
2. Issue assignment not being taken up by contributors but forced many
times. Solution: Fix habits, inculcate a weekly routine at least.
3. Push from individuals who allegedly are working for a company and
pursing company's interest on ACS at cost of ruining the Apache culture. If
you're a ACS committer, your decisions should be your own not your
companys'.  For example, I would not like to see emails about 4.2 blockers
or push about the same. ACS has yet to release 4.1.
Solution: Pl. don't do it, do whatever you want in your private fork, leave
ACS the opensoure Apache way.

Maybe I'm missing the some part of the picture here, maybe I'm wrong
"hippie". I embrace change and would like learn and fix my thinkings,
advise?

Cheers.