Pardon my ignorance of project management, but it appears to me we are
talking of managing a release after half way through the cycle. May be
this is orthogonal discussion, but how about taking approach of planning a
release early in the cycle (at least for future releases)? Having a time
window between each release where we actually plan for the next release.
Discussions include - direction of the project, what big features are to
be included, rough estimate of the effort, risks and timelines would help
in planning releases better? Perhaps we should use Collab conferences for
this purpose, where we can plan for the next release (apart from show
casing the features of previous release). Since Collab is also scheduled
to happen on a half-yearly timeline it makes this easier to execute
release management starting from there.