So while I will agree that in person communication is faster, and has
higher throughput, it's not without problems for decision making for
this community.

First it dramatically raises the barrier to participation. This is
supposed to be a meritocracy. But shifting decisions, especially
important decisions like release planning to an on-premise venue
destroys that. It entails extensive travel for many if not most. In
addition to the travel cost, for people whose $dayjob isn't 100% on
CloudStack they'd miss several days of works, and then we can assume
it's probably several hundred dollars a night for a hotel. This is not
a cheap proposition, and we shouldn't presume that everyone wants to
or can afford to attend an event. Keep in mind that the last event had
around 1/3 of committers absent, and probably 1/3 or more of our
current PMC was absent as well. We are not going to disenfranchise
them.

There is a reason that this conference doesn't bear a name like the
CloudStack Design Conference, or CloudStack Leadership Summit.

Off-list decisions are a threat to the health of this community.

While I am not speaking for the PMC, I suspect that we'd sooner revoke
permission for the conference to be held than to permit it to
degenerate into a conference where those who can schedule, travel, and
afford to participate get to make decisions about the project.

--David