ok,

I did a quick read. But first; should this be in the 4.x docs and is it
worth a jira issue?

The procedure seems simple but lengthy and for that reason error prone. I
think some automation could help. I see several decisions on our path.
- shall we let cloudstack do the copying?
- shall we let cloudstack do the shutdown of management servers?
- do we do a verify on the new mount?
- what if ... the new storage is on the same server as the old, which needs
to be updated
or resized?
- will an api call to change the secondary storage do more then just change
the database entry?

I am going to CCC and would like to sit down with some to discuss and pen
down a couple of plans to throw in the user- and dev communities.

Any takers?