It took time to investigate what's happening on Ubuntu.

On Ubuntu, we don't have apparent problem with current setup.
We don't have to touch catalina.out simply because it is
not used.
# Cloudstack java stdout is sent to /dev/null.

In tomcat6, java stdout,stderr is redirected to catalina.out
(in /usr/share/tomcat6/bin/catalina.sh)
So, the init script touches catalina.out before invoking
catalina.sh. Additionally, there's logrotate configuration
in tomcat6 package, which will be installed at
/etc/logrotate.d/tomcat6 during postinstall.

IMHO, it is preferable to have our catalina.out, but
there's no need to fix it in haste.