On 02.01.2014 23:41, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Nux! [mailto:n...@li.nux.ro]
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2014 2:56 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: [VOTE] 3rd round of voting for ASF 4.2.1 RC

On 02.01.2014 22:12, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:
 [Animesh] Nux, as Edison mentioned KVM Snapshot are not supported in
ACS. We use customized qemu internally which allows us to take
snapshots but cannot be redistributed in ACS [Animesh] because of
license incompatibility

I know[1], my issue is not with "VM snapshots", it's with "volumes
snapshots" in the Storage section.

[1] - BTW for KVM live snapshots to work in EL6, one can simply
rebuild the stock SRPM with "rhev" option, I think, I have to test
this a bit more. See e.g.
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.ovirt.user/13381

[Animesh] VM Snapshot is not supported for KVM at this time. I am
also referring to Volume Snapshot.  KVM Snapshots are not supported
for a long time. Here is an old email from Edison calling it out [2]
during 4.0 time

[2] http://markmail.org/thread/c6edaeeiulfkm6or

Guys, this is really confusing!
First of all I could swear I had this feature working on me previously on a similar setup, second of all why has your colleague Sadhu said this is working[1]? Also Andrei Mikhailovsky claims in this same thread the feature is working, though he is facing other issues (launching new VMs from volume backups/snapshots).

What are my options now? When is KVM volume snapshot/backup expected to work? This is basic functionality that customers will expect.

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-5393?focusedCommentId=13859469&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13859469

Nux!
www.nux.ro