I think you are overlooking the fact that if you do not assign a
continuous block to a vpc you need to set routes upstream for every
tier. If you do you can set only the vpc block and let the vpc router
take care of the internal routing. Maybe I am wrong and we are just
speaking a different type of English, me being dutch and all.