Hi Sheng,

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org> wrote:

> Hi Rohit,
>
> Well, I don't quite understand why gerrit is "old". Google has a team
> actively working on it and the release of new version seems pretty fast to
> me(https://code.google.com/p/gerrit/, latest release at June(2.9-rc2) and
> May(2.8.5) this year). Since Google, SAP and OpenStack are using it I don't
> think quality or functionality would be an issue generally. The most
> enticing feature of gerrit for me is itself is the repo, and you cannot go
> around the gerrit to check in without proper process in any case.
>
> I didn't look into deep about Phabricator currently but I don't want to
> bring "A is better than B" discussion at this moment. I think that can be
> up to evaluation after we decided that test and review need to be enforced
> through automation process.

+1 can we have a PMC member to lead this effort and start discussion/voting
on having a test/review process?

> Which tool is best for that purpose can be up
> to discuss.

Sure. This thread started like "Let's start using Gerrit", on the face
value I thought it's like we've already considered which tool to use and we
just want to start with setup/adoption process.

By "old", I was implying low commit/development activity and
technical/design debt it carries. Since I've used both of them (and
Gitlab/Github) for writing real software, I'll list couple of specific pain
points wrt code reviewing, but before that I would like everyone to try
both of them before making mind;

Try Gerrit2 with your github repo: http://gerrithub.io
Explore Phabricator: https://secure.phabricator.com

You may google to find reviews on both, I was going to write a comparative
summary but this quora answer summarizes my pain points:
http://qr.ae/sudCG

Phabricator is more like a swiss knife but has three great tools inside it
IMO useful for ACS like Differential (code reviews, pre-commit), Audit
(review, post-commit), Arcanist (command line tool),  Herald (alarms on
certain parts of code, such as db files etc.). Unnecessary features can be
turned off.

Arcanist is awesome, it speeds up the workflow of sending patch, testing
it, merging it etc. The whole patch can be viewed in one tab, in-line
comments work, the UI is much better, works better with JIRA/Confluence,
they are opensource too and have a more active development community.

Companies using Phabricator: http://leanstack.io/phabricator
Code reviewing compared: http://leanstack.io/code-review

I'm sharing my opinion just to help us consider best tool for the job and
adopt it in future.

Regards.