Hi Wido and Lucian,

There are many ways to get to a stable product including fixing coverity
issues, unit/integration tests etc. but one of those ways is to simply support
existing releases with bugfix releases because most CloudStack users just don’t
care about git workflows, or coverity or unit/integration tests, they simply
expect it to work and if it has bugs they expect them to be fixed.

We don’t have production usage data and feedback from users to conclude that
4.4.x releases are stable enough. Some of them (include our customers) have
tried to upgrade their test prod. environments from 4.3.x to 4.4.x and have
failed. So we decided to put backporting/testing efforts on 4.3 which we have
confidence that it just works until a stable 4.5.x on which we have a certain
confidence is released.

Just to put out a note here - many smart and active contributors/users may know
their way around CloudStack such as Wido/PCExtreme and Lucian, but many
large/serious CloudStack users are slow to change and upgrading every 3-4
months may not be an option for them. I know quite a few users who are
operating large clouds and are still on ACS 4.2.x. This simply means they are
not going to simply upgrade just because there is a new release with lots of
new features. Therefore the idea of supporting those releases until we have a
confidence of a new stable release.

Note: This is not to say that 4.4.x is not stable, we’re simply saying we
recommend 4.3.x because we have a confidence of its stability and we encourage
serious CloudStack users to use it.

The 4.4 branch does not contain many bugfixes which are in 4.3 and on
master/4.5. I anticipate that 4.5.0 should be out in about 2 months time around
Jan/Feb 2015. With this anticipation and known confidence of 4.3.x in
production at ShapeBlue we decided to support 4.3 branch until a stable 4.5.x
branch is out.