On automated QA front following is available:

1. Before pushing in a feature a dev can run simulator based tests that will
basically test various functionality that does not depend on the type of
Hypervisor.
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Validating+check-ins+for+your+local+changes%2C+using+Simulator.)
The test suite are located in testing/integration/smoke folder.
The travis system runs most of the test in this folder.

2. Then there are tests that will require real hardware to run most of these
are in testing/integration/component.

Basically there are two kind of test cases not strictly classified as per above
directory structure - Ones that have required_hardware set as “false” and
“others” that have this as “true”.
The one with required_hardware is false can run on simulator but for the others
you need a real Hypervisor based environment.

I have been able to run a lot of tests both with hardware and simulator. The
problem I faced is scattered documentation. Missing description of a model
deployment; say for a particular Hypervisor that will allow a dev to run the
provisioning tests.

In all there is a huge scope for improvement.

-abhi

> On 23-Apr-2015, at 1:02 am, Remi Bergsma <r...@remi.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The '2 week cycle' was intended as something to work towards, like a
> mission. The nice thing is that it immediately shows that we cannot achieve
> such a thing if we keep our current method of (semi)manual testing, as you
> said. Totally agree.
>
> That's why we need to improve on our automated functional testing. And that
> will of course take time and effort. As I don't currently have a clear
> overview of what is already available, I'll try to get that first and work
> from there. I spoke to several people recently and most seem to do testing
> on their own way (with sometimes cool automatic stuff going on!). It'd be
> interesting to bring that together and share.
> I think improving this is important, so I'll try to spend as much time on
> this as possible.
>
> However, the tread started with comments on 4.5. Let's try to get it stable
> and deliver 4.5.1. What is still to be done here? Can we share the load
> somehow to fasten it?
>
> Regards,
> Remi

>> I fully support the idea of a stable master with an automated CD process
>> to protect against regressions.
>>
>> ....However, we obviously don't currently have fantastic integration
>> testing otherwise we wouldn't have relied on 'people' to pick up the
>> release blockers recently.  A 2 week release cycle IMHO is way too frequent
>> to expect 'people' to be carrying out integration testing.
>>
>> Maybe 1 month is a workable compromise until the integration testing is of
>> a coverage and standard that can give real confidence.
>>

>> I'm also going to compile a list of people who vote "+1 - it works on my
>> laptop" and devise a Guinness related punishment for any of them that show
>> up at the CloudStack day in Dublin.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Paul Angus
>> Cloud Architect
>> S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +447711418784 | T: CloudyAngus
>> paul.an...@shapeblue.com

CloudStack Software