We need a distributed QA framework, where folks with all kind of setups - fetch code continuously, build cloudstack, run tests, sanitize outputs and submit upstream.

Some folks on this list would want to remain anonymous, but this build, deploy, test and submit results process needs to be automated. Would be a great project for GSOC interns.

On 4/22/15 2:51 AM, S. Brüseke - proIO GmbH wrote:
In my opinion we need to improve QA! If smaller cycles will help to do that this is the
way to go. I joined this list after the "release" of 4.5, but as far as I know
4.5 is not really usable for production because of critical bugs in it that good QA would
not have passed.
So if CS releases new version every 2 month with just a few new features, but
these are working, it would be great. We also can do some bug fixing and
code-cleaning too.

My $.002

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards,

Swen Brüseke

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Remi Bergsma [mailto:r...@remi.nl]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 22. April 2015 11:25
An: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Next ACS release?

I'd be happy to help here as well. Last week in Austin, we also discussed this
topic a couple of times. I do agree shorter release cycles are better.

In my opinion, the first thing to improve is the minor releases in both the
4.4 and 4.5 branches. If we speed those up to let's say once every 2-weeks we
will be able to do the next minor release with less effort and users can choose
to either wait to start using 4.5 or start now and upgrade when the next minor
release is available. This would have helped in getting 4.5 out on time and
quickly fixing issues after the initial release. Also, it will save time which
we can invest in getting the next release out on time, etc.

The common thing here is we need more automated testing, preferably functional
testing in addition to unit testing. There might also be other steps that we do
manually now that can be automated. I'll try to understand the current process
first and then come up with a proposal to improve which we can discuss.

Regards,
Remi

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Daan Hoogland
<daan.hoogl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Erik Weber <terbol...@gmail.com>