On Thursday, Jul 17, 2003, at 15:50 America/Guayaquil, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

Hi:

I was ending my simple research of how to start a new web application
using Cocoon.

I choosed to use the MVC (Model View Controler) approach. My proposal is:

Database: PostgreSQL
Model: Java+OJB - http://db.apache.org/ojb/
Controler: Flow in Cocoon CVS.

If someone has already experience in this with the proposed products, I
will be glad if he can share some advises.

I know that Hibernate is the prefered and explored choice for Model, but
the problem with the LPGL looks like a break (I know know why is a problem
since LGPL can be used in a total propietary solution without breaking any
law).

The act of "redistribution" is what triggers the viral nature of the LGPL. If you just assemble and use it, even mixing GPL code is totally fine.

For example, it is generally known that many big sites (Amazon, for example) modify GPL software for their needs, but they don't give back their changes. Since they don't redistribute the softare, they are not liable (ethically questionable, yes, but legally safe).

The FSF has been thinking about a GPL 3 exactly to stop this from happening, but they don't know how to do this without limiting the usage too much.

Even Tim O'Reilly recently talked about how software licenses don't really mean anything in a service world.

For us, we cannot redistribute LGPL code because we don't know where a library starts and stops in java since everything is dynamically loaded. (one FSF person confirmed this to the ASF, but we are seeking more 'final' statement over the use of LGPL with java) but if you are not redistributing combined work, you are safe.

--
Stefano.