Giacomo Pati wrote:

> > 2 - copying all blocks to the 2.2 repo is not wanted since not all
> > blocks will evolve in the 2.2
>
> I think we have to clean up the build process from bottom again (see
> below).

In the long run, I believe yes (see below)

> > 3 - the "real blocks" may require some modifications of the current
> > "fake blocks".
> >
> > So what about the following (somewhat already expressed, BTW) :
> > - start a 2.2 repo with only the Cocoon core (i.e. src/java)
> > - copy blocks in the 2.2 repo only if they require substantial changes
> > that would break the ability to quickly do a 2.1.x release.
> > - have an intelligent 2.2 build that gets missing blocks from the 2.1
> > (IIRC Carsten talked about it)
> > - backport to the 2.1 non disruptive enhancements/bug fixes appearing in
> > the 2.2 repo
>
> A few days ago someone mentione something about "individually
> releasable units". I personally think this might be the way to go, peep
> over to Avalon land and see how they manage it.
>
> <SNIP/>

Yes, I also believe that this is the long term vision, but I fear that
we are not able to deal with the upcoming problems right now. I still
hope that we can have a smooth transition, which means, start 2.2 now
as outlined, take time to think about how to handle blocks in terms
of where they are in the cvs, how the build should look like etc. But
this will take time to think about.

Carsten