Berin Loritsch wrote:
Geoff Howard wrote:

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

  - no need to have any jars in the CVS repository anymore or at least
    only some exotic ones that are not distributed over the web (today
    more than 40% of the cocoon cvs space is needed by jars and this is
    even more in our zipped distributions)

this is a good point.

JMHO but I hated this feature of maven in trying to get avalon built before I got broadband at home. I downloaded all night and started to build and it had to download a significant amount of new stuff. If we do this, I'd still want to provide an "everything you need" option for download.

Do bear in mind that Maven downloads a number of things itself the first time you use it. Avalon (Framework) has very few dependencies itself

Point taken (though I may have been building something else from avalon* and not the framework proper).

I have to admit that my perspective is tainted by my general feeling that too much bleeding edge can be bad from a marketing/evaluating perspective for a project that is trying to transition from "promising but early" to a more mature status (which is how I think a lot of people see Cocoon).

However, when we can resume binary dists again in 2.2 our build system will not affect that issue nearly as much and I'd be game to try anything new.

Geoff

PS (are you flooded out?)