Le Samedi, 11 oct 2003, à 17:19 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a écrit :

...my point is that we should make it hard for people to edit stuff in the repository directly...

Ok, I see the idea.

There's one additional concern though, which was undelying in my suggestions: it should be as easy to fix the docs as it is to fix the code, meaning that it must be real easy for a committer to change one line in a given document/LO, without necessarily needing to start a heavy client, wait for ages on "build docs" or something.

This has played a big part in the success of the wiki I think: if one sees a mistake there, it is quicker to fix it than to send mail to the list asking for a fix.

Doesn't have to do with IDs directly, but should be taken into account in the overall design of the system.

... 2003.332.221

is much more easier to read (and to spell out) than

2003332221

do you seriously think we'll get to 2 billion learning objects? that's wishful thinking ;-)

You were the one to start with this: http://cocoon.apache.org/cocoon/LO/3948494, which is still a large number isn't it ;-)

Anyway, the exact for of IDs need not be decided now, as you say:

...I have no problems in whatever ID schema we use, even something similar to ISBN or UUID or tre-numbers-dot format of IP addresses, anything is good as long as it doesn't overlap concerns about identification and titleing.

ok.

...please people, *STOP* thinking at those things as files and as a repository (CVS, WEbDAV, whatever) as a thin layer on top of a file system... these are just implementation details.

ok, why not move to repository-based docs if we have the resources (=volunteers) do to it.

-Bertrand