Hi Stefano,

> > For example, unique IDs cannot start with a number, but all examples
> > of IDs
> > have been strictly numerical. Also the date below:
> >
> > http://host/path/id!date 031015
> >
> > does not conform to ISO 8601.
>
> hmmm, http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html, says
>
> <quote>
> part from the recommended primary standard notation YYYY-MM-DD, ISO
> 8601 also specifies a number of alternative formats for use in
> applications with special requirements. All of these alternatives can
> easily and automatically be distinguished from each other:
>
> The hyphens can be omitted if compactness of the representation is more
> important than human readability, for example as in
>
> 19950204
> </quote>

I did not read that deep... just followed the spec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xmlschema-2-20001024/#date).

So, I just tried to validate:

<abc date="20000129"/>

With:

<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
  <xs:element name="abc">
    <xs:complexType>
      <xs:attribute name="date" type="xs:date"/>
    </xs:complexType>
  </xs:element>
</xs:schema>

The instance did not validate. So perhaps the validators are not following
the ISO standard strictly?

> > Am I just being to nit-picky or is this something that simply has no
> > value
> > here?
>
> but I agree: if we can, reusing datatypes from other standards is a
> good thing

Cool

> (might well give us code to reuse for parsing already
> implemented in other projects!)

Yea! :)

-Rob