From: Leszek Gawron

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 12:01:41PM +0100, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> >
> > From: Leszek Gawron

> > > Gig in the
> this for a
> > > xsp is very powerful if you use it with esql.
> > >
> > > - very fast custom database action creation (xsp actions)
> > > - nice syntax, no need for enormous amount of JDBC code
> needed, no
> > > need to
> > >   handle exceptions
> > > - esql is customized transparently for several databases (
> > > i.e.  max-rows,
> > >   skip-rows) - very useful for me because I connect
> cocoon to existing
> > >   database installations so I do not have the comfort to
> > > choose one that fits
> > >   the best.
> > >
> > > while the flow:
> > > - has some database support but is really poor
> >
> > I wouldn't code my DB support in Javascript
> I'm not advising that also. I am talking about providing an
> easy framework for database operations that would be
> available from flow.
>

> and really: why not ? I usually make two scripts :
> controller.js and persistence.js. JS has a great feature: it
> is interpreted so all you need is a text editor. You just
> apply changes and everything works without
> - building new classes
> - jar packaging
> - stopping the container
> - replacing the jar
> - starting the container
>

> > > - you have to catch exceptions yourself
> >
> > who else should catch them for you?
> SQLExceptions should be beclared or thrown. Simple JDBC
> wrappers usually convert almost all of them to
> RuntimeExceptions. 90% of exceptions usually denote a design
> time or fatal error so there is really no point to recover from them
> - it just should be simply logged
>

> > > - no database customizations
> >
> > I think flowscript shouldn't support DB access directly
> Maybe you're right but if you drop XSP what database support
> you have?
> Actions? Then can be used for really simple processing as
> using them for more advanced features makes it harder than
> using pure JDBC.
>
> Please note also that the biggest cocoon application example
> - Petstore - accesses database directly from JS.
>

> > > - O/R support is still pre-alpha and even if it was already mature
> > >   - the overhead is much too big comparing to pure JDBC
> for projects
> > >     not-enterprise size
> >
> > This is valid for your first project but it's like with
> Cocoon: After
> > your first Cocoon project many of us also take it as
> platform for very
> > simple projects. The last few weeks I learned more and more
> about OJB
> > and you can be sure I'll take it in many projects in the
> future - also
> > in projects where I wouldn't have taken it in the past because I
> > *thought* it is too complicated (in opposite - using OJB
> [...]

I separate between applications which are more 'publishing-centric' and
which are more 'transaction-centric'. 'publishing-centric'-applications
usually don't need flowscript. Your example (reporting tools) is of
course a representative of the this type and XSP(using ESQL) or
SQL-Transformer is the easierst way.

If you have to implement transaction logic I think there is no way
around Flowscript/CocoonForms/DataObjects(via O/R-mapping or EJB) in
order to reach a clean design.

I think this is the message for our users.

One further thought on DB and flowscript:
If you want to combine the ease of use of XSP and flowscript and you
don't want to mix concerns - why don't you call pipelines from within
your flowscript?
Then you can do all the things XSP/ESQL offer having direct database
access. And I don't know how it should become easier if we build a
specif 'flow-database-framework' compared to the flexibility of Cocoon
pipelines which are called from within the flow layer. This also means
that you have caching (--> pipeline caching) for free.

--
Reinhard