Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

Le Jeudi, 20 nov 2003, à 17:49 Europe/Zurich, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :

...I don't agree with this "unfortunately": writing and installing a component is not an easy task for a newbie, and if it's the only solution we provide for calling Java code from flowscript, many will turn around and go away...

Just wildthinking here: I've been using BeanShell (http://www.beanshell.org/) recently, and with it you can very easily write scripts that implement java interfaces.

This means that BeanShell (dunno if BSF does this too) scripts could be called from flow *and* interpreted *and* implement Avalon or Cocoon interfaces. I haven't thought about all implications but it might be a nice intermediate solution between limited interpreted stuff and full-blown java coding.

Rhino also provides some very easy solutions to this:
- http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/tutorial.html#ImplementingInterfaces
- paragraph "JavaAdapter constructor" at http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/scriptjava.html

...Sure! That's why I wrote that it "gently educates people" to Avalon. Once people will have implemented lifecycle interfaces, the next step is to declare the component in cocoon.xconf and move to the regular component lookup mechanism...

So maybe scripting Avalon interfaces could be a first step in this education?

Mmmh... Not sure it would be a good education ;-)

But it can certainly be useful for quick hack prototypes!

Sylvain