...so we are right back on track - let's get this unpleasant stuff
sorted out:

for java and text
--
/*
 * Copyright 1999-2004 The Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.

for XML -- <!-- Copyright 1999-2004 The Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.

 Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
 you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
 You may obtain a copy of the License at

 WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express orimplied.
 limitations under the License.
-->
--

Regarding the start dates... ...maybe we could check where they need to be exact before we decide here?

Although there is a perl script in the committers
module this does not look like it's a run-it-and-you-are-done
thing. Plus keeping this consistent in the future might be
a tedious task. Too bad there is no CVS substitution for this

For files other that code... does really every configuration
file or README etc have to have license? ...or only what we
think needs protection?

the NOTICE file -- This product includes software developed by The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).

It consists of voluntary contributions made by many individuals
on behalf of the Apache Software Foundation. Please visit the
project homepage (http://cocoon.apache.org) for more information.

Cocoon was originally created by Stefano Mazzocchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

...add more here
--

and we remove all the author tags :)

cheers