On 25 Mar 2004, at 16:58, Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Thor Heinrichs-Wolpert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

So I think JMX can be a bolt on, or an underpinning depending on how
you use it.  I'd be surprised if it didn't meet the core of what you
described blocks needed.  If a block has a consistent API (Interface)
then any block that supports that API could be loaded/unloaded and
messaged to from other components using the JMX services and usage
guidelines.

JMX really helps to develop a extremme loosely-coupled application. For
JBoss its was a necessity, for Cocoon I don't know. And my personal feeling
is that it can increase complexity.

That's why it should be an instrumentation layer on top of the kernel core, and not "kernel core" in itself.

Cocoon components are tightly coupled, reside in the same VM, on the same host (they're not remote) BUT they can be reloaded, so they need to have a certain degree of separation.

JMX allows you to componentize distributed applications, but that's not our focus, Cocoon (at the end of the day) is a servlet... You need something from elsewhere? go and fetch it using the HttpProxyGenerator.