Reinhard Pötz wrote:

So, like we already said before, it is *totally* possible to have a block load avalon components thru an avalon sandbox (sort of a avalon->cocoon adapter). This allows you to reuse your avalon stuff "AS IS". But this also means that your block cannot expose those components outside of that block.

Are there reasons that prevent me from writting a 'block wrapper' which can be exposed?

good question... I don't know :-)

Look: at the very end, I have no problems in having all sorts of machinery to have avalon components run AS IS in cocoon 2.2. I believe it to be a monumental PITA to do correctly, given the avalon 4.x way of doing stuff (keep in mind that avalon is older than cocoon and was designed on a java 1.1 JVM, in some senses is archaic), but I would love to be proven wrong.

At the same time, to put it rather explicitly: I don't want anything in org.apache.avalon.* to be a core dependency of org.apache.cocoon.* anymore because I don't trust avalon anymore: avalon is quicksand and you can't expect it to be there tomorrow in the same shape you want it to be.

--
Stefano.