Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

Any Action can be re-written as a Matcher in 10-15 seconds (only exception is this redirect mentioned above... shall we remove redirector from action interface? ;-) ). Thus, I totally miss the point why actions should be disallowed.

because actions redirect and we don't allow things to happen behind your back (think in the case you use a VPC without having written it yourself, as for real block scenarios).

Actions *can* redirect but they don't have to. I would say, let's
allow actions, but actions are not allowed to call the redirector.
Actions are really handy components I don't want to miss in a VPC.

Mmmh... ok, that is a good compromise. A pipeline instruction (generate, transform, etc) normally cannot modify the system state until the pipeline is setup, but since VPCs are there to avoid developping specific components in Java, we also must provide a way to plug in some additional logic that would be otherwise written in the component's code.

So let's recap what's allowed where:
- in virtual generators, transfomers, serializers (SAX-oriented VPCs): match, select, act but no redirect. redirect-to and call are forbidden.
- in virtual readers: everything is allowed.

Is that ok?

Sylvain