I've been a strong believer in 'internal innovation', which means to give room for people to experiment.

We have now migrated onto SVN, which unlike CVS, has a great deal of support for moving things around and merging different parts of the tree together.

My proposal is to create a private branch for every committer that wants it and place it in

 http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/private/[id]

The reason for this is:

1) allow people to experiment in their own place
2) allow stuff to happen without giving the impression that it is a "fork" or that the status quo is in danger
3) give the feeling of some privacy

For example, I have a new version of linotype I'm working on that I would like to host there instead of my own CVS server.

And Ugo is playing with Butterfly, which should be there instead on "branches" alongside the "cocoon 2.1.6" branch!!

Thoughts?

--
Stefano.