On Tuesday 10 August 2004 22:55, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> >I know far too little about Spring in general (i.e. never worked with it)
> > and GBeans in particular (i.e. have not read enough), to be able to
> > provide a good answer.
> >
> >As for Spring, I think the apparent convergence between Merlin and Spring
> > is based on two different starting points. Merlin starting out as a
> > Model-driven architecture, with strong typing, a strong IoC as its base,
> > where as Spring started out with making IoC-style out of JavaBeans.
>
> Mmh... can you elaborate on the meaning of "model-driven" and "_strong_
> IOC"?

Strong IoC is in reference to ECM that allows you to look up any component on
the fly, no matter if such dependency has been declared or not. Merlin otoh,
will not allow lookup() of non-declared dependencies.

Model Driven = Merlin builds a model of all the participating components.
Merlin will satisfy the declared dependencies, implicitly or explicitly,
within the model, prior to deploying (note, deploying != instantiation, as
that is determined by the lifestyle) the components. If the dependencies can
not be fulfilled, deployment will not occur. This approach minimizes the
runtime problem that can occur, with adhoc resolution of component dependency
resolution.

I hope this clarifies my PoV.

Cheers
Niclas