Sylvain Wallez wrote:

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

Instead of creating yet-another-small-project at cocoondev.org (like my own CVSSource), what about creating a general-purpose project that would host all interesting cocoon-releated things we cannot host at the ASF because of license problems?

What about lobbying about changing the silly LGPL allergy that the ASF has instead? Being a director might help at times, you know, that's what your (member's) votes were for ;-)

Well, Mr Director, IIRC there's a board meeting tomorrow.

Wednesday.

Should this subject be added to the agenda?

In fact, I'm going to.

The problem also is that the solution to this problem doesn't depend only on the ASF, but also on the FSF which is the mighty priest that gives the interpretation of the holy license texts.

Not really. It's neither the FSF nor the ASF that decide if a license contract is valid or not, it's a judge, in court. In lack of that, each one has its own opinion.

My opinion is that the spirit of the LGPL was that "if you add functionality to the library, then you should give it back, if you just use the library, your code doesn't have to".

What does this translate to java? Pretty simple, in fact: if you import a class is fine, if you implement an interface is not.

I would like to change the ASF policy toward the LGPL saying that "importing is ok, implementing is not". That means that if you implement, your code has to be LGPL, then you can import that. The spirit of the LGPL is maintained and the FSF will not have a problem with it, IMO.

Now, whether or not the board digests this is yet another issue and I'm going to find out soon.

--
Stefano.