> May be annoying, but it is also true.
> Another aphorism is "(s)he who does, decides". So, if you want to have
> decent structure, organisation, etc, and want some strategic choices
> made, then try making them. Suggest things. Then act on your
> suggestions. Maybe silence is actually a silent agreement rather than
> you being ignored. If it is silent agreement, you'll be able to get on
> and get it done. If it is you being ignored, the more you do, people
> will feel forced to come out and comment if they think something is wrong.

Sorry but I find it hard to share this rather "anarchic" point of
view, even if I respect it.

> And, the more stuff you do, the more decent patches you offer, to code,
> to docs, whatever, the sooner you'll get that commit access.

But it's exactly what I think we have to avoid : PATCHES ! Patching is
awful, it's trying to make new with old, this is exactly what made
current documentation so messy, because people just brought patches.
But for the commit access I totally agree and I'm not asking for it. I
understand that it has to be earned and I think that the "do-ocracy
thing" is at least useful to make sure some initiatives don't finish
in a dead-end. I'm just not convinced that it's far from being enough
for such an enornous project to be successful. Because if people just
individually do, the result is nothing more than a sum of efforts
instead of being the product of them...

> For starters, if you provide me patches to the existing docs (preferably
> our new 2.2 docs, but actually any), I'll commit them for you.

Of course if we manage to come out with something by joining our
efforts that will be the next step.

> I for one haven't forgotten my work on docs, and even if it does go
> slowly, it will happen.

This is perfectly understandable :-)

> So just get on and do it, whatever you think 'it' needs to be, and then
> people will either join in or object, or let you get on with it in freedom.

For the time being I don't expect people to join in anymore : on
Cocoon In Action website there were more than 200 visits a day, 200
silent people waiting for things to happen. So we have to deal with
that. But at least I hope that people already involved in
documentation effort, whether on Cocoon wiki or on some other
surrounding website will manage to join their effort to get something
more coherent.

--
Sebastien ARBOGAST