Jorg Heymans wrote:

Luca Morandini wrote:
Consider: 1) Declining cocoon-users activity.
This worries me as well, especially the last couple of months it has
become very obvious [1].

"Why?" you might ask:
Is the framework stable? Have most issues been solved/answered already?
Does everything Just Work(tm) and we only have happy users? Or are
people silently jumping ship?

Yup. That's a question I have myself.

2) Reduced attendance (so far) to GetTogether (and it shouldn't be, since Amsterdam is a more accessible, if less fascinating, location).

possibly an artifact of 1) yes. It's strange enough to say the least.
Maybe the topics weren't interesting enough for normal joe-user?
3) Struts being more and more popular.

often discussed here, very true - as much as we hate (to admit) it

Is it really more popular now than it was before? Struts always has been the defacto standard controller in J2EE webapps.

My 0.02 EUR: I think Cocoon will remain a "niche" framework, used for
complex applications and/or by gifted developers.

Yup, and that's exactly the niche we need to get out of.

<marketing type="idea">
Lets do a video like Rails [2], a picture says more than a thousand
words, a video more than a thousand pictures! WDOT? Can something like
this put us to shame or work in our advantage?
</marketing>

Currently, we cannot make an equivalent in 5 minutes. We need code generation tools, which is one of the reasons for which RoR is so productive. Cocoon is "just" a framework and comes naked: it's up to you to write everything by assembling the (high-level) components it provides. Now there's a large range of CRUD-type webapps that always use the same patterns and where code generation may definitely save time.

So videos for now will be limited to some demos where things have been prepared in advance (e.g. a standard cforms sitemap).

What we can do quickly however, is to setup a live version of the latest snapshot at cocoon.zones.apache.org besides the latest official release. A topic for the hackaton?

Sylvain