Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
<snip/>

Oh please, go read the threads.

We cannot forbid "-" in widget names, as it's used in too much occasions.
Sigh, how do you know that people are not using ':' in their widget ids?
Which is starting with 2.1.8 not allowed any more...so as we don't have
problems with not allowing the ':' character in ids, I don't see a
reason why we should handle the '-' differently?

The library stuff effectively forbids the ':' and none of our samples uses this character in widget names.

On the contrary, some of our samples do use '-' in widget names, and I guess this inspired many applications out there. At least mine.

Anyways, this whole id thing is really a pita and suggestions like a
double period or trailing period are absolutely not userfriendly. It
doesn't matter how often you have to use them.

So, for clearness, I would go for a different solution but as this vote
is only about the four suggestions my vote is:

I agree that it's a pita, but we need a rule.

[X] "foo.bar._input" (underscore, requires to forbid it as the beginning
of widget names)

Ok. I predict some conflicts when we'll do some automatic generation of form definitions with this choice though.

Sylvain