Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> On 17.08.2006 01:29, Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
>>> "Is it appropriate to vote according to your employer's needs".
>>
>> IMO PMC members should vote in the best interest of the project - not
>> in the best interest of their employers.
>
> I just want to point out that I did not vote "according to [my]
> employer's needs", but what IMHO is better for the project. Though we
> do not yet use Java 5, there is probably no problem to switch to it.
> The example I made with the bank was with a former employer of mine.

Folks, this discussion considers the problem from the wrong perspective.

Large IT departments don't bother upgrading their environments unless
there's a compelling reason to do that, and if we listen to them, we'll
never move forward. Now being told "the new version of the application
needs the great things brought by the new Cocoon, but requires Java 1.5"
can be such an incentive for them. Even if I don't think people
frightened by the migration from Java 1.4 (or 1.3) to 1.5 will even
consider migrating from Cocoon 2.1 to 2.2.

It is IMO our role, as technology builders, to invite our users to
progress towards more modern stuff. What's the purpose of Sun releasing
a new JDK? What's the reason for Cocoon to release 2.2? What's the
reason to upgrade to the latest Xalan? What's the reason for Struts to
start with a blank page learning from the oldish Struts 1.x and Webwork?
Providing more to users, providing something that works better,
providing something that brings more development productivity.

All this discussion makes me sad, as it gives the impression the overall
Cocoon developer community doesn't want to move forward and is
frightened by moves that would cause some disruption among _some_ users.

Note also that the poll on the user list showed an evident interest in
using JDK 1.5...

My 0.02 euros...

Sylvain

--