Bertrand Delacretaz escribió:
On 10/9/06, Antonio Gallardo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
...Just some question: it is the same for 2.1, right? What is 2 different
blocks with different jvm requirement needs the same jar?...

I was mainly thinking about 2.2, but in your case, if a jar is
compiled for 1.4 it will work with 1.5, right?
I am thinking in 2.2 too. The above reference to 2.1 is just a sample of what we are repeating for 2.2. Because we claim 2.1 is java 1.3 when it fact few of us care about this compatibility and some blocks does not compile at all. This somehow makes us look like a buggy project. As a sample try to download the 2.1 and try to compile it as is shipped in java 1.3 it simply does not compiled.

Now answering your above comment: "Yes, but not the opposite".

The opposite case is what made me think about the problem we are overlooking. Please note, cocoon 2.2 will be around at least 2 years from now, in about 1 year java 1.4 will be in the same category as we look at java 1.3.1 now. I will try to describe the situation: "Nobody cares about it." Many (I would said: "most") of the cocoon developers does not have a java 1.3.1 version installed in his machines to compatibility test the code they are writing for cocoon this days, and this is not new, proof of that are the many times I needed fix some java 1.3 incompatibilities for perhaps nobody, because seems like nobody uses java 1.3 with cocoon this days. But since I am a committer and I have a "contract" with our user community, hence I care about it. But this effort is worthless since also looks our user base also does not use this days java 1.3 at all."

Now, please add 1 year in the time and change jvm 1.3 with jvm 1.4 and read it again we will be in the same place wasting committers resources keeping a worthless compatibility. I can tell you how many times I needed to recompiled the sources, because the jar proect does not ship anymore a java 1.3 compatible jar. And this is why I am trying to call again to rethink this issue just before the official of 2.2, because if not I foresee a second round of the above described problems in a cocoon 2.2 edition.

In some cases switching to a newer jar only means to copy a new jar into the right directory, in other cases it means rewriting some parts of our current components to make them run with the updated version, in this second case is where I see the problem. The proof of that is new qdox which API changed hence as a user it does not easy to switch unless he maintains his own components. Another perhaps more used component (I would said a critical one) is ehcache, each new version often introduce new API.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.