Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

[...]

We need to get a 2.2 out; imho it is more important to have something
out after so many years than having a 115% bug free version.

You are missing a point. It's not about a bug free version. It is about a version which seen more than like 4 hours of testing after major surgery.

In addition, there is no guarantee that releasing a milestone will bring
us more users testing, more documentation etc. And I personally doubt
that people will start trying a milestone release.

Counterpoint:
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=117024037825843

They are not even trying, they are using it in production. It is a bit different for 2.2 though: there were no "real" downloadable release yet,

And maybe there will never be one. Don't know. There doesn't seem to be much energy in this community to provide it - especially if you use Maven 2 you don't need it.

so there is really no easy way to download 2.2 and give it a spin on existing 2.1 project.

That's not true. What's missing is a guide how to do it. Technically it shouldn't be too difficult.

High entry point would hamper wider adoption of 2.2, not the label on its release.

And what will be the exit criteria? When do we have enough confidence
(if it is really missing today) that we are stable enough for switching
from milestone to rc? We only have indicators and feelings. I think that
the current code base is stable and the work we are doing with is a
proof for this (for me).

When there is a consensus in the community that version is ready for RC or Final release. Given the responses so far, you already can see that to reach consensus we'd have to:

  * have some more testing done (not 4h or 1d as now),
  * have unit tests working,
  * have CC working and not failing over,

Continuum was stopped because I started to flatten the POM hierarchy in trunk. This will hopefully save me a lot of time during the release process.

[...]

--
Reinhard Pötz Independent Consultant, Trainer & (IT)-Coach

                                       web(log): http://www.poetz.cc