Well, for what it's worth (which isn't much) I for one am glad Cocoon 2.2 still supports JDK 1.4. It's finally looking like our US datacentre is getting their act together so my team can plan to migrate our sites off Websphere 5.0 (JDK 1.3, and end-of-life'd about 9 months ago!) onto a more recent version. However, the new version that they are willing to support is 6.0, which uses... JDK 1.4

In 2007 the company decided to upgrade to websphere 6.0. It is a product
from 2004. Hence I don't believe such cutting-edge technology as cocoon 2.2 is going to be picked up there until it is not 3 years old or so, hence we are talking about year 2010 when the company will plan to move to java 5 and cocoon 2.2. Is this correct? If yes, there is another reason to move to java 5 for cocoon 2.2 now! :)

What some people here seem to ignore is the difference between the environment you deploy your application in and the application itself. While you might not influence the environment like in Andrew's case with the data center or a hosting provider you might deploy there everything you like - unless you require more than it is provided.

Joerg