Just another 0.01€ in the same direction:

most "developing" users (esp. the ones developing cocoon itself) would qualify
as hackers.
Those are used to associate special meanings with groups of version numbers
as a number of other projects follow similar rules (e.g. Linux for long used
that even/odd numbering scheme).

However, as Cocoon will (and should) attract non hacker users,
on a first view, what will indicate to them, that version 3.1.2 is not
"superior" to 3.0.9?
(superior aka later or more mature)

While I personally am quite fine with any versioning scheme,
I do think, it is absolutely necessary to have a policy document explaining it
to accidental users. And this nearly at the same time they will detect
something like cocoon does exist at all.

Rainer