+1 for new packages
-0 for x-ng

let's make 1 step back and see the issue from the distance.

What's currently going on is not a simple 'feature addition' which has to be
compatible. It's more about an effort to use a lot of cool features which are
available since java-5 _without_ having to take care about old 'ballast'.

So what about changing commons to commons5 for example?

e.g. org.apache.commons5.lang.Validate

This would have the benefit that everyone sees clearly what he get's!
The groupId should also be changed to "org.apache.commons5".
This would also be a good point to clean up the inhomogenic groupId/artifactId
structure (commons-lang/commons-lang vs org.apache.commons/commons-lang)

The projects may either remain in the same SVN (new branch) or a completely new
one.
Both have pros and cons we should discuss.

LieGrue,
strub