Hi!

> 1. Is the LRUFilesCache safe for production use? GAE/J won't allow using
> the default SoftRefFilesCache because it doesn't allow background threads.
> I 've found a few really old messages saying things like "SoftRefFilesCache
> is the only implementation suitable for production use" and "other file
> cache implementation might cause resouce leaks", etc.

Yes, these messages are still true. Sad to say that, but I realized that too
late and planned to fix this, which is not that easy.

Using any thing else than the SoftRefFilesChache will introduce memory leaks as
the file-system object will not be discarded. You have to call close() on the
filesystem, or even better call close on the DefaultFileSystemManager at all
and do not use the VFS.getManager() singleton approach.
That will also ensure that each and every resource used by the underlaying
libraries are closed then too.

Ciao,
Mario