On 27/06/2009, Siegfried Goeschl <siegfried.goes...@it20one.at> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
>  I think this things were discussed a couple of times before and my
>  understanding of it
>
>  +) we use the M2 release plugin to cut the RC
>  +) the RC is using the "real" release tag because it is referenced in
>  the released pom
>  +) if the vote passes that the RC is the release and we move it just around

But what happens if the vote fails?
Do you then abandon the release 1.2, and create 1.2.1 or 1.3?
Otherwise the release tag will have to be deleted and recreated.

>  If my view of things is wrong and/or incomplete then please update the
>  wiki page (http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases)

The only mention of tagging is in the section marked (outdated).

This says

Tag "proxy-1.0-rc3" but with the version number set to "1.0". This is
so the release does not have to be rebuilt later just to fix the
version.
<<<

which sounds exactly what we need.

Unfortunately I don't know how this fits in with the existing instructions.